ENGINE CONTROL COMPUTER AND TPS

1992 Oldsmobile Ciera • 6 cylinder Automatic • 40,000 miles

How to replace the Engine Control Computer and TPS Sensor and Idle Air Control Valve. I was told by the dealership to replace these parts, computer is frozen and tps is broken and IAC Valve is not working. Thank you.
Dinerdash2001

The computer should be just plug and play. If something caused the old computer to go bad, it may ruin the new one as well? I can't tell from here? The computer is right side of dash, behind glove-box.

The two sensors you mentioned are on the throttle-body. I don't have a good picture of location, but, you can look at the connector wiring colors. The TPS has three wires, gray--dark blue and black.

The iac has 4 wires, lite blue wire with white tracer, lite blue wire with black tracer, lite green wire with white tracer, lite green wire with black traver. If there is a problem with wiring circuits, somewhere, replacing those sensors won't fix it.

Thanks for the help. Let me explain to you what my car is doing. After the car warms up and running at normal temp, the service engine and the temp light come on at the same time but its not over heating, it looses all its power and sounds like it wants to cut off and starts to sputter real bad, black smoke is coming from the tail pipe then it eventually dies and I noticed that the radiator hoses feel hard like there is allot of pressure in them. What do you think is wrong with it, is it worth fixing helllllpppppp. Thank you.

Dinerdash2001
Any applicable trouble codes? You can check those yourself. Also, use a gage and check fuel pressure, see if pressure holds after the fuel pump stops.

It is possible you need everything the dealership told you. I can't see much from here.