MY RADIATOR RESERVIOIR TANK IS A MILK SHAKE, THE ENGINE OIL CAP AND DIP STICK IS CLEAR. IS MY RADIATOR BAD?

1992 Mercedes Benz 300e • 153,000 miles

My radiator reservoir tank is a milk shake, the engine fill cap and dip stick are clear of mixture. Is my radiator bad?
Scooby Doo

Check you transmission fluid condition if it is automatic. It could be if the transmission fluids are like milk shake as well.

You have contaminations in the cooling system and if it is not due to the transmission cooling leaking into it, it is not the fault of the radiator.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Transmission fluid, engine Block and dip stick are normal without mixtures.

Scooby Doo
Ok, in that case most probably the coolant has long expired and requires replacement. You would need to flush the system before replacement of coolant. One time flushing might not clean the system sufficiently and it would be best to drain out the coolant, refill with water and run the engine till operating temperature.

Drain again and flush. Repeat a few times till the water becomes clean before refilling with coolant.

One way of expediting the process is to disconnect the heater hose or if there are stoppers along coolant pipes and plug in a hose to flush.