GETTING RUNNING THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 11 YEARS?

1992 Mazda MX3 • 150,000 miles

Hi,
Just wondering what the best way to get a Mazda MX-3 (V6 engine) running that hasnt been started for 11 years? Its been sitting in storage in a carport in Montana. So has endured the elements.
Ombass

Drain and flush all fluids. Refill with the required quantity of oil. Turn the crankshaft using a ratchet and socket for 30 to 40 seconds. Turn it as fast as possible BY HAND. Drain and flush the fuel tank, the fuel has most likely turned to kerosene. Unless the car was on blocks or stands, the tires should be replaced, as they are most likely flat-spotted.

Go through the electrical to make sure critters haven't nibbled and done damage. Change the air, fuel, and oil filters. I would replace all belts and hoses.

Rivermikerat
Thanks for the response. Do I have to take any extra steps or precautions because it is fuel injected? And are there fuses or electrical issues I should take into account? I read not to take out spark plugs and spray fuel/Marvel Mystery Oil/etc in there as this can cause hydralock and bend rods? I also read that fuel pump can be a problem?

And hypothetically, once we do get it running, are there any precautions to watch out for at that point? One guy I read about got his running but couldn't go over about 25mph without it dying.

Thanks for your help!

Ombass
Checking the wiring for critter nibbling is about the only thing you should need to worry about for electrical. You might also want to disassemble the airbox for the heater/AC and clean it out prior to using it.

Personally, I would disconnect the fuel lines and either flush or blow them out. You'll need to remember that the pump needs to replace all the fuel that was in the lines, so you should turn to the key to "Run" and let it sit for a few seconds and be ready to crank it for a few seconds also.

Cranking the motor over BY HAND, with the proper amount of oil in it, should negate the need for Marvel Mystery Oil or fuel into the cylinders. I did forget, after you've hand cranked the engine for about 30-45 seconds. Drain the oil again. Don't worry about putting on a second new filter. It'll trap the impurities you don't want floating through the engine.

A can of fuel system cleaner won't hurt, either.

I wouldn't romp on it for about a hundred miles or so, but I don't really foresee any real difficulties. If you wanted to play it REALLY safe, you could remove the valve covers and pour oil over the tops of the heads.

Don't forget to remove the thermostat prior to flushing the cooling system. Make sure you set the heater control to full hot. And I would also install a new thermostat afterwards, just to be safe.

Rivermikerat