HELLO? THERE'S A LEX THAT I'M LEANING TOWARDS TO PURCHASE BUT JUST FEELING VERY APPREHENSIVE. THE CAR HAS BEEN KEPT IN IMPECCABLE CONDITION (LOOKS ALMOST NEW) BUT, (PLS SEE THE POSTING BELOW) HAS A KNOCKING NOISE WHICH IS A DETERRANT. YOUR ADVICE IS

1992 Lexus ES 300 • 120 miles

Date: 2012-05-14, 2: 46PM

I have for sale my 1992 Lexus ES300. This was my daughter car and she had it for a while. The car is in mint condition in and out. The leather looks like no one ever sat in it. The body is also in mint condition. The engine started to know on her and she doesn't want to fix it. The engine is dry and has no leak and I am not sure how this happened. The transmission still shifts smooth with no problem. The car still starts up with no problem but it just nocks. Everything works great in the car. We never used the spare and it's brand new. The car still smells new. I am asking 1,200 for it but it is neg. If you are interested email me or give me a call/text at

Joelo

This forum isn't for selling cars so no one is going to know it's for sale. There are a lot of other sites just for selling cars.

The knocking is not always serious. You should at least give a mechanic a chance to listen to it and give you an opinion on the cost of repair.

I understand. Allow me to revise the question. If the car were mine and judging from the info on the description of the car's issue, could it be (more than likely) a minor replacement/repair job? And what is the likely cause? I'm not a mechanic but I am very handy with tools and have worked on my own previous cars. Thanks'

Joelo
Knocking noises have to start with a diagnosis and that usually can't be done by do-it-yourselfers unless you're experienced with such noises. Timing chains and belts can be worn and will often slap against covers causing a knocking noise. Worn engine bearings are the most serious cause and require rather involved engine repairs or even a complete rebuild. Those are typically accompanied by low or rapidly pulsing oil pressure. Loose harmonic balancers can rattle and sound like knocking. Those are just a few examples. You don't want to turn down a car if the cause of the noise is relatively minor.