92 FUEL RELAY

1992 Honda Civic • 220 miles

My original post is here

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-honda-civic-won-t-92-start-test-try-fix-next

How do I test if there is a problem with the fuel pump relay?

Could this potentially be the problem with my car not starting?
Beegee

Is the fuel pump coming On? If so check the fuel pressure if its within specs-start here

Can you use any old fuel pressure gague from advanced auto? They have one that "fits exactly" for $44 and an el cheapo- for $16 or so. Will this work?

If it turns out the fuel pressure is low then what is the likely cause of the problem, the fuel pump?

Can someone please explain to me the function of the fuel relay under the dash board? I haven't looked at this yet but heard its a common problem and this happened to my sisters car. Is there a way to visually inspect whether the relay is bad? Whats the difference between a relay and a fuse?

Beegee
Replace the main relay its cheap-Again one more time do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn key to run?

Sorry, yes I hear the fuel pumprun when I turn the key to the on position

Beegee
And if the relay isnt bad why replace it? Isnt there someway to know if its bad?

Beegee
Hook up a fuel pressure tester and check it-comeback with the readings in order to continue-

Ok checked the fuel pressure. Consistent 44 Psi. This is both with the pressure regulator vacuum hose connected and disconnected. Im not sure since I didnt accually start my car if it should change or be different when I remove the vacuum. Im assuming not since the service manual doesnt mention checking the regulator if your car wont start?

So pressure looks good, fuel pump and filter seem to be in working order. Whats next?

Beegee
Do you have spark out of the sparkplug wires while engine is being cranked over?

Yes checked for spark after I put new plugs in and new dist. Cap and rotor. Only checked one cylinder

Beegee
Okay-Crank the engine over and listen if the injectors are clicking