HONDA ACCORD RIM PROBLEM

1992 Honda Accord • 407,800 miles

Weird problem going on with tranny. What had happened is that when I replaced my rack and pinion and tried to slip in the passenger axle, I did not notice that I was trying to force the wrong end in. I then noticed and inserted correctly. Now when I drive around, it sound like the tires are humming but stil occurrs even after alignment had been done. Loud enough that I can barely hear myself. I kind of sounds like the tranny because when I start off slow from a dead stop, it sounds like gears not lining up and binding. Could I have ruined the tranny?
Steveal01

How hard did you try and force the outre small spline end into the transmission, what you may have done is damaged the diff spider gear carrier, is the oil in the transmission ok for level?

Mhpautos
I was not wacking it with a mallet or hammer but by pulling & pushing axle shaft by hand in hard. Just checked fluid and is level. Is slightly browning even though completely filling with new fluid in October when I pulled the motor.

Steveal01
You may just have an alignment problem with the tyres, changing steering rack and replacing or removing tie rod ends can easly up set the alignment, check this first just to be sure.

Mhpautos
That was my 1st guess so I had it done and replaced driver hub and bearing also and same issue. Pass side needs replacing but it's not binding or noisy (can barely hear it). Can the rack and pinion be off center? Because now I notice that my pass inner rim now I should say grinds on the sway bar bushing (washer) on the lower control arm. I measured the rear of wheel well fender to the ridge of the rim and both sides don't match up. Not sure if that's causing the issue, the vibration is very hard enough to feel on pedals.

Steveal01
To clarify, the rim grinding is when I back up and turn wheel all the way to the right.

Steveal01
Either the steering bump stops are missing or damaged, or the rack is off centre and the alignment has been done wrong, I would get the alignment check and show them where it is rubbing on lock and ensure the rack you fitted is correct for your model.

Mhpautos
I will take back in to check alignment. I could not find any bumpstops for this car. The new rack was measured against the original oneandmeasured ok. I will have them look at it again. As for the humming that sounds like the tranny, is it possible I damaged the spider gear carrier? Is the an easy way to check if this is the case w/o having to tear the tranny apart?

Steveal01
Unfortunately not an easy thing to check, you may have to pull these shafts again and visually inspect to see if there is any apparent damage to the spider shaft, do this only if nothing comes of checking steering and alignment.

Mhpautos