92 POPPING SOUND + FUN, NEW GAS ACCELERATION AND BUCKING

1992 Honda Accord • FWD Automatic • 88,000 miles

1. Have a mechanical sounding pop/clink noise that happens sometimes when I slow down, sometimes when I accelerate and sometimes when turn. It doesn't happen every time, and it doesn't happen consistently. When I first told Mechanic 1, they told me it was because of boots/axles, so I spent $400 and replaced them. Noise still happened. And then, it turned out boot/axle part wasn't either done right or bad part, and the whole car wouldn't move forward back and made a terrible noise. They 'fixed' it and now, car stil makes this pop. It's always just a single pop (have it on vid, if you'd like to see.)

2nd part of question. Guy who towed me to the mechanic was a mechanic himself, I went to him and explained that the pop sound was still happening. He examined car and thought that it was because of a bad motor mount. Car was shaking at stop lights and yes, the motor bucked like a bull which he showed me.

Fixed the front motor mount only. Said the back wasn't broken.

Drove home, immediately noticed pop still this there.
BUT
gas pedal and acceleration suddenly now acting funny (i.E not consistently moving through gears, and seems even jumpier than before--though the vibration is gone. I push hard on the gas and it takes a second before it reacts in some cases.

Can the mechanic 2 have F**ked up my car? I read somewhere that new motor mounts need to settle in--is that true? Is this why the gas/acceleration is suddenly weird---I am now not sure what to do. Mech 2 said to bring it back but not sure I can trust the work even though he is cheap and he will fix whatever gratis.

I think the first mech was sloppy and corrupt and the second one was nice but maybe not as good as I hoped.

if you want to hear the popping sound, and need a vid, email me, and i'll send to you. I can also do a vid of the new gas problem.
Tromano

Does the popping/clicking noise occurs at a single note or is it in continous clicks?

Engine mounts requires no settling period.
The weird acceleration could be due to the throttle pressure cable being tampered with while performing the front emgine mount replacement. Recheck the cable adjustment.

Single pop! Just a click or a pop. Interestingly, the acceleration has not been as weird or inconsistent in the last day. I read somewhere that the throttle can become dirty/clogged? Any reason why it would not be so weird.

Tromano
Single popping noise are usually due to not moving parts shifting due to improper torquing. Ensure control arms and other suspension components are correctly torqued.

When throttle body becomes dirty, it would affect idling speed but not transmission shifting.

The throttle pressure I mentioned is the cable from throttle body to transmissiom. If it is ourt of adjustment, it would affect shift quality.

-it would not be a CV joint situation (popping?) If it is the suspension being torqued improperly, outside of being irritating and annoying is it dangerous?

-yes, the shifting is when it is weird--so then it's the cable possibly.
Taking it to mech tmw so we'll see. I'll report back. You've been very helpful.
X

Tromano
CV joints would have continous popping noise. Try if the noise occurs more often if you move forward, stop move backwards, stop, move forward again. If this causes the noise to be more pronounced, it would be the suspensions control arms.

If the noise is as it is now, it is not going to be dangerous just yet but if noise gets worse, something might work itself loose, and that would be dangerous.

I went back to first mechanic (using the business partner instead of the guy I usually dealt with) and ironically, the second mechanic had called the problem correctly, but he was lazy and took a short cut, and indeed, the rear engine mount was damaged and needed to be replaced and was the cause of the noise, hence, I spent another $400.

Tromano
At least the problem has been fixed so you can drive in peace.

Have a nice day.