WHY DOES THE EGR HOSE BURN OFF?

1992 Ford Tempo • 220,000 miles

The number four cylinder started cutting out a couple months ago, and has gotten steadily worse. I know it has a spark but I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor anyway. (All Motorcraft) But that one cylinder will only produce power for a short distance, and then the EGR hose from the catalytic converter burns off in a couple miles. If I park the car for a few minutes, it will run fine again for a few minutes.
Onebreak

I've narrowed it down to the number four fuel injector that was slowly dowsed by the ruptering coolant hose directly underneath it.

Onebreak
I finaly figured out that is a bad fuel injector sitting right above the overflow coolant line that slowly blew out a few months ago. So I dowsed the fuel injector with WD-40, and let it sit over night.
Problem solved. I wasted a hundred bucks and four days work, when a shot of WD-40 was all I needed.

Onebreak
It never fails to amaze me how often hundreds of dollars are spent on a fifty cent fix.

Onebreak