92 MAIN 60 AMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING

1992 Ford Ranger • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 100,000 miles

1992 Ford Ranger blowing main 60 amp fuse. Vehicle just stopped running tonight. No ignition, no warning lights or starter. Under the hood the main 60 amp fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse, and as soon as the key was turned the fuse blew again. According to the Haynes manual, that fuse controls the charging system. Is it safe to assume there could be a dead short in the alternator? Where else should I look? This vehicle absolutely, positively needs to be running tomorrow!
Dhomer4322

Disconnect the alternator battery wire and isolate it from ground and try another link and see what happens. Also check at the starter motor if the battery terminal is shorting to ground

Disconnected the alternator wire, promptly blew the fuse. Jiggled the starter cable around a bit and tried again. It cranked for a second or so, then blew another fuse. Will get this towed to my heated garage tonight and look closer. Any possibility the starter could be grounding out?

Dhomer4322
Disconnect it and see what happens when you attempt to crank

Will do. Had the alternator tested, its ok. The fuse will blow by simply turning the ignition on. None of the usual dash lights come on as the key is turned. Unplugged the module, no difference.

Dhomer4322
We found the problem. Some melted wiring in the alternator harness. Truck back on the road, thanks for the help.

Dhomer4322