HOW CAN MY PASS SMOG WITH THE HONEYCOMB BORED OUT OF THE CAT?

1992 Ford Explorer • 140,000 miles

Do I have to replace it? What is a charcoal canister?
Hm951

You need to replace the cat to pass also your charcoal canister is what asorbs your raw fuel vapors.

Since your vehicle is OBD1, the computer won't know you did it so you may get away with it if the exterior of the Cat looks normal. It's still illegal though.

Wrenchtech
Thank You for answering my question! : ) I appreciate it.
I do realize it is illegal. I will get a new one.

Hm951
Thank You! I just priced them at autozone and I will just replace it.

Hm951
That's not a good job to attempt yourself. They never fit correctly and require modifications that you aren't capable of. Most exhaust shop will install one professionally a lot cheaper than you imagine, most under $200 installed.

Wrenchtech
Ohhhh. (I wasnt actually going to try and do it myself, but I did think I would rope a man friend into doing it) : ) so I am really glad to know that. There is a muffler shop in my neighborhood thats been there forever. I will call them right now. Thank You so much!

Hm951
So. I tried to smog it and it failed. My question now is. Is there any reason not to go with a universal cat? They are so much less expensive. Thank You.

Hm951
That is a question to put to the exhaust shop. They can tell you whether they can install one or not.

Wrenchtech
A universal cat will work fine as long as its the correct size and application one.

Ok, Thank You. One more stupid question. The parts store has two universal CATs listed for my explorer. One is a "front", and one is a "rear". Which one is the the one I need?

Hm951