WATER IS LEAKING AT DRIVERS SIDE TOP AND A BIT IN THE MIDDLE

1992 Chrysler New Yorker • 30,000 miles

I live in vancouver and it rains a lot, a couple weeks ago I noticed the headliner at the top corner drivers side was wet. After a heavy rain a couple of days later there was enough water coming in to leave drops on the dash and the drivers door console. There was also a small spot of wetness behind the rearview mirror. I went to a autoglass place and they tried putting sealant inside under the headliner all the way across the top of the windshield. It seemed to slow it down, but still leaked. Then I got them to take out the windshield and reinstall it. There was no obvious damage or rust to the area where the windshield sits. Again, it seems to slow it down, but is still leaking. The car was always parked in a garage up to a few years ago, and the body is in great shape. The windshield was replaced over 10 years ago, but never had any problems until this. I am wondering where else the water could be coming from aside from the windshield and if there are any suggestions of other places where putting more sealant on could help stop the problem. I have already put 250 bucks into this problem, and would love to try to narrow it down before investing any more. Thanks
Bindle1

Is there any pin holes in the roof area behind the windshield?

Hi Roy

Thanks for getting back to me. No pinholes that anyone saw. The techs at the glass shop examined the metal around the windshield when they had the glass out. At the top of the drivers side, they saw a small (maybe 1/4 inch) area inside the channel where the glass sits, which was a slightly different color and seemed slightly dented. Not rusty at all, and there was no hole visible. But they said they'd pay extra attention in that area when they seated the windshield back in. They didn't seem confident that it definitely was the problem, but it was the only thing they could find.

Looking at it today, the things I noticed which seem like maybe water could get in is that the chrome molding on the outside that goes down the side of the windshield on the drivers side is open on the top, so even though the glass is sealed under it, water does go under there. Also, there is a rubber strip that goes along the top of the windshield and has a chrome molding on top of it. There is an area about 3 inches long of that strip where the rubber is not tight to the glass.

I know it's probably not ideal, but is there any sense to putting sealer around the windshield on the outside also? And maybe along the rubber strip that goes on the top of the doorframes that run from the back to the front of the car?

It's hard to figure out, and I'd appreciate any input or ideas you may have.

bindle

Bindle1
It sounds like you are in the ball park here. I wonder if the glass place did not use enough sealer installing the windshield.

Why dont you take it back and have them re check there work since they charged you for this service.

Does it have sunroof, if so check drainage hoses at corners. Also a good way to find the leak is to use soapy water and compressed air, spray outside of suspected area with the soap and use air from inside, if bubbles form you you have found the leakage area. Check also where windshield clips that hold moulding they rust.

Kvn4
I am planning on taking it back to the glass place for another check. That has to wait a day or so, the serpentine belt popped off yesterday, so it's in the shop to get that fixed. The car does not have a sunroof. I will ask them to try the compressed air and soapy water test when I go back, and I will ask them where the windshield clips are.

Thanks for the input.

Bindle1
Also, any thoughts on putting sealant on the outside of the windshield as well as along the rubber seals on the top of the doors leading to the windshield. As far as I can see those are the only routes to the leak.

Is that a thing that could help?

Bindle1
Dont bother sealing that way as you may slow it down but also give the actual cause time to get bigger. The clips are along side of opening they are held on by studs that rot away, you may find clips missing I think about 8 inches apart. If you have a vinyl roof you have to peel back a little to see where studs go.

Kvn4