CHEVROLET S-10 GAS PROBLEM

1992 Chevrolet S-10 • 120,000 miles

My truck is carbureted and has been running very rough, so I have to baby the gas pedal to get it to go or it will bog down. I have to do the same when im at stop lights or it will shut off. Sometimes it will act normal. I have changed the fuel filter and an O2 sensor. This has been going on for months now. Doesn't get any better or worse. Sometimes after I have been driving for a considerable distance and I shut it off for a few minutes and then start up to go again, I have to bay the gas again to get it up to higher rpms, I smell a very strong gas odor. Every now and then when im to impatient and it will not start and I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes, I put a few ounces of gas in the carb which always does the trick. With all of that being said, is their a small pump on the top area of the carb that could problem or are their going to be 15 other solutions that it could be and I just have to go down the line til I fix it. There it is I'm all done bitching, so. Any solutions or suggestions?
Marshall Mosley

Just one, the carb needs to be overhauled.

Would a carb repair kit do the trick and is it fairly easy. I am mechanically inclined and have done my share Saturday shade tree mechanic projects, and I have a basic set of tools. I am by far not a mechanic but can do most things if I know wht the problem is.

Marshall Mosley
Yep, a kit with a float.

Disassemble completely, clean with cleaner, blow out all passages, after assembling it, the dwell must be set with a scan tool. You may need a shop to set that for you.

Thanks for the info.I will update when complete. Merry CHRISTmas Roy

Marshall Mosley
You can try Carb cleaner, sometimes that works. What happens at times is that some carbon will build up and clog the little ports. Just a little carbon will clog air nozzles.

M_H_RITZEL