CHEVROLET CORVETTE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1992 Chevrolet Corvette • 80,000 miles

I have a 1992 Corvette, 6 speed manual transmission. There are several issues that are wrong with it, but mainly the transmission.

When I bought the car, it needed a new clutch. So I had a new one put in. When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, sometimes (not always) it will make a grinding sound before it goes into gear. The clutch is always pushed all the way in, but it still happens. The rest of the shifts are fine. Do you know why this would happen?

thanks
Boseman13

Probably worn synchro rings in the transmission, I would start with changing the transmission oil first and seeing if that helps.

Mhpautos
If the synchro rings get replaced, would there still be any damage caused by the grinding from the shifts?

Boseman13
Just to add to Marks post, the transmission in the car is made by Getrag and they are notoriously "crunchy" going into 2nd, try Redline synthetic oil, works well in the Getrag trannys that are used in BMW cars, try this first.

Dr. Hagerty