CHEVROLET CAVALIER COOLANT PROBLEM

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier • 183,400 miles

My fan does not come on I have trouble shot the motor on the fan and it does work, I have replaced the coolant fan rely, I also replaced the thermostat yet my fan still does not come on, What else could be causing my problem.(The on-board diagnostic tells my nothing it just flashes 1 2 and nothing else.
Sassy-red1

When you go to check trouble codes, the fan should run, does it? If you unplug the coolant temp sensor, the fan should run, does it? How hot is the engine getting in degrees F? Some of these systems the fan wont turn on till the temp reaches about 220F.

No the fan does not run when checking trouble codes Have not unpluged the coolant temp sensor, It wants to go in the orange 260 and the fan still does not kick on it use to come on when it would get to about 110F I will try pulling the coolant temp sensor and let you know if the fan runs, Thank you will be back.

Sassy-red1
Ive seen faulty fan brushes cause intermittent issues, It would run up a storm during testing, then stop when driving around town.

Have you checked voltage and ground at the fan connector?

Yes I have checked voltage and ground at connector, I have been told there is a coolant sensor switch can not find such Is there such a switch and is it located adjent to the egr pipe?I have also been told there is a fuse link on the line to the fan, I pulled the coolant fan rely and grounded it turned the vehicle on and the fan runs At my wits end

Sassy-red1
For the 2.2L, the coolant temp sensor is behind the coolant outlet.

Thank you for that but mine is the 3.1 Doesw the 3.1 have a coolant switch?

Sassy-red1
The sensor is same location for 3.1L. Note the diagram.

I have the same diagram, Thank you are you aware of any common problems with this particular car?

Sassy-red1
No. Im not aware of common problems.

In the past year I have had air and fuel mixture problems, fixed those and then I get hit with the fan problems the computer has been replaced my next question is could some of my problems be coming from the computer?

Sassy-red1