REPLACING WHEEL CYLINDER AND DRUM BRAKE SHOES

1992 Cadillac Deville

I am replacing the wheel cylinder and drum brakes on my cadillac. I went ahead and took the wheel cylinder off. While I have some ideas, im not really sure, of the right procedure, how to go about removing the drum brake shoes. Just need a quick rundown as to the right procedure to remove the brake shoes. Diagrams might be helpful. Thank you
John7

The shoes are held to the backing place with a spring and pin combination. Hold the pin from the back, push in and turn the spring.

The large return springs need to be removed first. Only do one side at a time so you have a reference.

Rivermikerat
Return springs? You might have this confused with a different model or year of cadillac. Theres only one spring that runs horizontally just above the hub. There is a u shaped rod that I guess could be considered somethin like a spring but that it.

John7
Which I have seen lots of diagrams with return springs, but mine does not have these

John7
My reference says there are return springs. The bar just above the hub that you mention is for the parking brake. The return springs go from the shoe to the knob above the wheel cylinder. No return springs means the shoes will constantly be rubbing against the drum.

Rivermikerat
Ok. Actually the spring for the parking brake is UNDER the hub, which I didnt see before my mistake. Its obvious that thats what its for. Goes directly to the parking brake line. So again its got the horizontal spring above the hub and the U shaped spring and the parking brake spring and thats it. There are no springs that extend above the wheel cylinder.

I guess its possible to have two different designs for the same make and model.

John7
The best pictures I could find were actually at Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528025f15c

On your model, the return spring actually goes between the 2 shoes above the parking brake actuator. That thing is fugly.

Rivermikerat
Yep that looks like the right one. Good pics. Thanks for the link it'll really help.

John7
Not a problem. Happy to help.

Rivermikerat