92 735I STARTS BUT DOESNT STAY RUNNING

1992 BMW 735 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

I have a 1992 BMW 735i. The engine ran fine before the trans was changes. After the trans was changed, the engine will start but idles rough and will die on its own after about 30 seconds. Or it will also die if you touch the accelerator. Is this an ecu issue? The cluster also says 'trans program' how can I cost effectivly figure this problem out?
Deano83

Sounds like something got disconnected and not reattached. "Trans program" is the cars way of saying there is a transmission issue. I am not sure of what advice to offer, you have a fairly robust powertrain that you are dealing with, the thing to consider is first rechecking the work performed. The replacement transmission was a used unit?

Dr. Hagerty
Yes the trans is a used unit. Why would the trans cause the engine to run this way?

Deano83
Sorry about the delay, the new site launch has hampered my ability to get into the site to answer questions. The car is still down? Have you made any progress?

Dr. Hagerty