IMPORT RIGHT HAND DRIVE DIESEL, RAN FINE BEFORE TAKING TO MECHANIC

1991 Toyota Other • 240,000 miles

I brought my Toyota Hilux Surf ( diesel 2.4L 4 cylinder) to a mechanic because it had trouble starting. He replaced the fuel pump, glow plugs etc. Now it starts fine but when driven at around 3000 rpm the check engine light comes on and engine bogs down on hills.
Hilucks

Trouble starting like what?

Trouble starting when left for a while but started fine if started every couple hours. And what lead us to the fuel pump was when trying to start after sitting for a while it would take some effort and start dripping diesel from the engine. But now it starts fine. Does that answer you question?

Hilucks
Have you located the exact point of fuel leaking? Pump will be loosing prime.

Mhpautos
Air in the system will prevent it from starting-fix the leak and move on-

Pump is already swapped out, no more leak, no trouble starting. That is not the current problem. Any idea what's causing the check engine light to come on and the power drop?

Hilucks
What is the code, these are an electronic controlled pump, did you fit new or used pump?

Mhpautos
Can not get a code as the check engine light turns off as soon as you release the throttle.

Hilucks
I'm not sure if you can see my whole original question as I can't seem to view it myself. However the problem is when truck gets up to 3000 rpm it suddenly looses power and check engine light comes on momentarily. This started after mechanic replaced pump due to leak. He still has the truck and can't source out the problem. Thank you for your help.

Hilucks
Code will be logged, you do not need the light on to read it.

Mhpautos