COOLING FAN DOES NOT COME ON

1991 Toyota Corolla • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

Good day. I have a Toyota Corolla, 1991, 1.6 GLS (AE92). Just recently there have been issues with the cooling fan. When the thermostat switch is connected, the fan will not come on at all. When disconnected, the fan works continuously. I removed the thermostat but still no change. The heat gauge also remains just below the halfway mark, but the radiator will start to overheat and blow the cap off the overflow bottle. I also changed the fan relay which I noticed is getting extremely hot. Could the problem be the relay or the thermostat switch?
Thanks for any advice.
Espri

The system used on the vehicle is that the fan thermo switch would remain in contact to complete the relay circuit. When the temperature required to start the cooling fans is breached, the thermo switch would open the circuit, ( when you disconnected the wire) the fans would come on.

If the fans are not running at the required temperature, the thermoswitch is faulty.

@KHLow2008 - Many thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. I'll get the thermoswitch replaced.

Espri
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.