ENGINE NOT STARTING, SMOKE IN AIR VENTS

1991 Toyota Camry • 130 miles

I replaced the spark plugs in my car after it had died and when I tried to start it and there was a noise then smoke. What could cause smoke in the air vents?

I have a 1991 Toyota camry that I have owned for almost a year now and earlier this week it broke down on me. I was driving and with out any warning it shut off on me. I thought it was a fuel pump issue and when I replaced that it didnt fix the problem. The starter and battery are fine and the engine turns over but wont catch. I have read a few different things online to try and find the solution and decided I would try the spark plugs. I replaced them with new ones tonight and found one was burnt out.

Once I finished I decided to try and start it. When I turned the key it turned over and as I was letting go I thought it was just about to start then I heard a noise under the hood I tried to start it again but the battery died the first time I tried after the spark plug. When I looked ahead of me I saw some smoke was trailing out of my hood. Popped the hood and found that there was a large build up of smoke in the air filter box. What could be causing that smoke?
Karl k

Sounds like you lost a timing belt. Do a compression check to confirm.

When was the last time it was changed?

I bought it under a year ago I havenot changed it yet

Karl k
Ok, do the test

When engine backfires it can result in the smoke accumulating in the air cleaner.

Ensure you have the firing orders correct.

How do I test that?

Karl k
The first diagram shows the firing order.

Others shows how to check the timing belt position. You would need to remove the upper timing belt cover to check.

I ran a compression test. The first 2 cylinders were fine with the first at 125 and second at 120. The third cylinder was the one that I pulled the bad spark plug out of and that one read only 90 and then the 4th read 190. Does this mean it is a timing belt issue?

Karl k
Also when I pulled the compression tester out of the a couple cylinders there was a bit of gunk left on it. Not sure if that means anything
By the way the numbers from the tests are with out warming the engine since I cant get it to run. They are also all dry test numbers. Should I also do a wet test?

Karl k
It can be a timing belt, valve clearances, vlve leakages or piston rings. Check the timing belt and valve clearances first.