AIR CONDITIONER

1991 Lincoln Town Car • V8 2WD •

1991 lincoln town car air conditioner will not cycle we replaced the switch and still nothing, it does cool down but will freeze up we have done everything we are at our witts end
Purrpledragon

Have you used a set of A/C gauges (High and low side type, not auto parts store "on the can" type) to properly check freon pressures. Properly install freon and oil if it were needed in the system?

There may be another problem other than low freon, real gauges, may diagnose it.

A/C is one of those games you play at a risk, if you do not know what you are doing. Sometimes the professional guys is the way to go, before things get out of hand, and costs you a lot more.

The Medic

Is there a difference in the accumulator when we changed over from r12 to r134 thanks

Purrpledragon
I'm not an A/C expert or nothin', just know some basics

I think everything existing is fine,

When you convert, the oil must be changed out, and replaced with PAG

I have done it on several vehicles, removing the compressor and dumping the oil, replacing w/ PAG, re-installed the compressor using the "Green 'O' rings"---(anytime a line was opened too)

Installed 134a "fittings"

I did not try to "Blow" any more oil out of the system. Pulled a 1 hour vacuum. Filled w/ 134a, watching the gauges. But more attentive to "sweat back". Stopped filling, before "sweat back" reached the compressor.I never reach 30 on the gauge, I cannot accurately install gas amounts, without special equipment. I "wing it" watching sweatback. "Sweatback" is the condensation forming on the suction line---this is point where gas is is turning to liquid--liquid will ruin a compressor!

No problems, thus far. Mom and Dads '86 T-Bird still cooling fine, over 10 years later. Other vehicles were traded by family, long ago, do not know their status

Remember--I'm not a A/C man

If in doubt. See the Man!

The Medic