JAGUAR XJS ENGINE PROBLEM

1991 Jaguar XJS • 70,000 miles

Following a three year restoration period, the car was retrieved and we noticed that all the oil had been dumped and spilled directly underneath the engine. Now I faced with a diagnosis that the oil pump seals had probably dried out and that the oil pump needs to be replaced, but that requires pulling the engine at a cost of nearly three thousand dollars.

I'm told that the oil pump is internal unlike standard vehicles. Question? Is there any way of checking to see if the engine has suffered any major damage without pulling it. Also, may I wish to explore other repairs while the engine is out even though this engine has only 70,000 miles? Should I really think about an engine swap for a small block chevy engine with all the other modifications that will require or just stick with the 12 cylinder heavy inefficient engine?

Thanks John

The 350 swap is a great move. A company in texas sells the kit to convert and you could have a strocker motor built that you will love.