SOMETIMES THE CAR STARTS SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T?

1991 Honda Civic • 180,000 miles

Hi,

My partner is having trouble with her car. Usually it starts first try with no problems but sometimes she has a lot of trouble before it eventually starts. It turns over and over without starting, she keeps trying and eventually gets it to start (it took her about 20 minutes yesterday when she left work). I think the problem first appeared about a month ago and has happened maybe 3-6 times in that month, every other time she has driven her car it has started ok. Are there any basic things I can check/try before seeing a mechanic? Could it be as simple as dirty spark plugs? Any other basic things I could check without a lot of specialised tools and equipment?

Thank you very much for your help and advice : )!
Andrew.McP

Check the plugs and wires. Make sure everything is connected. Make sure the air filter is clean.

I don't think it is a fault with the spark plugs or wires. Most likely the fault lies in the PGM-FI main relay. It fails quite often and also intermittently as the soldered joints of the relays tends to crack over time. Remove the relay and have the joints resoldered and retest.

This relay controls the fuel pump and one of its most common indication is that the MIL tends to delay going off when ignition switch is intially turned on. It sometimes even remains on all the time.

Thanks a lot I will check it out when I can!

Andrew.McP
I have a 1988 hatch and the same thing happened. KHL is right on after removing the main relay and thats the hard part in some hondas they are up in the dash! And it's challenging to remove.

Mperrenoud
Hi guys,

I re-soldered the Main Relay, it seems to have fixed the problem, thank you very much for your helpful advice!

Andrew.McP
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.