WHY IS MY IDLING TO HIGH AT 3500 TO 4000 RPM'S

1991 Honda Accord • 208,000 miles

I just put in a new idle air control valve or engine air control valve not sure what its called
Bradleybrave

IAC is correct. It is responsible for maintaining idle. Make sure there is nothing in the throttle body blocking the pintel valve from working properly. Also, check for vacuum leaks.

What is a pintel valve and are those things most likely the problem

Bradleybrave
The pintil valve is part of the IAC. It is what moves to allow different amounts of air to enter the intake based on information from the computer.

I took the cap off of what I think was the pintel valve and tightened the little white adjustment piece that got the RPM's down to 3000. How can I tell if it is working correctly? How do I test for vacuum leaks? Is there anything else you can think of that I need to check

Bradleybrave
Have a helper turn the ignition key on and off while you watch the IAC. It should move. If it does't, make sure there is power to it. If there is, then it is most likely bad. Go to our homepage under the DIY section for the vacum issue.