CAR WILL NOT START

1991 Honda Accord • 2.2L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

This has been an on going problem for about 2 years. It started this problem on occasion, sometimes months apart. Recently the problem has become more frequent. It occurs mostly when the weather is very warm and after the vehicle has been run for awhile, although on occasion it wont start when cold. When I say wont start, the engine turns over but will not fire. When this happens if we wait 20 minutes, sometimes an hour or so the car will start like there was never an issue and run fine. There may not be another issue like this for several days or a week. Then the same problem again. Hope you can help, Thanks.
T Martz

When it doesn't start, you need to check if there is spark to the plugs and fuel to the engine. A simple way to check is by seeing if the engine will start if you use starting fluid. Try that and let me know what happens.

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, seemed to help.

T Martz
I don't feel that is the cause. However, anything is possible. Do this. If it happens again, check to see if there is a good hot blue spark to the plugs and the fuel pressure is within spec. An easy way to check is to see if the engine will start using starting fluid. If it does start, then there is no fuel getting to the engine. If it doesn't start, there is no spark.

Let me know if it happens again and what happens if you try the starting fluid.