EXHAUST ON 5.0

1991 Ford Mustang • 185,000 miles

I bought a 1991 fox body mustang and I figured it would be louder than it is. It has a muffler type deal right before the back axle. I'm wondering if this Is a sound deadener or if all 5.0 have this. It is a dual exhaust system.
StormJones

MAYBE IT'S THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

THEY KINDA WANT THEM LEFT ON, SORTA THAT "GREEN THING"

The thing is they aren't I have 4 but those look more like a glass pack shape instead of wide. My car isn't loud at all should it be?

StormJones
Nope nothing like them it looks just like a glass pack but not as long. Have you ever heard of sound deadening mufflers?

StormJones
THAT'S SORTA THE DEFINITION OF A MUFFLER---TO DEADEN THE LOUD SOUNDS GENERATED BY THE EXPLOSIONS INSIDE THE ENGINE AS THEY GET ROUTED INTO THE ATMOSPHERE

A REALLY QUIET ONE CAN BE SEEN UNDER THE PASSENGER DOOR OF MY NUMBER TWO JEEP.

ANOTHER OPINION OF MINE

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1985-ford-f-250-s-harm-removing-catalytic-converter-muffler-just-running-straigh

WHY DON'T YOU STOP HIM OFF BY A MUFFLER SHOP AND ASK THEM EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO HAVE?

Okay thank you so much for your help.

StormJones