CHEVROLET CORSICA FUSE PROBLEM

1991 Chevrolet Corsica • 152,080 miles

I have a 1991 chevy corsica 3.1L, someone pulled out the fuel pump and injecter fuse. The car was running still and the fuse was on the floor. Is the current suppose to still be flowing? The car was surging and popping I put the fuse where it belonged the problem had stopped. That night the battery light came on and the next morning took it to autozone they did a test the battery was good but the altenater was shot the battery had 50% charge I drove about 42 miles on the battery to get it worked on. Found a good altenator put it on started the car twice it was popping 2 times then battery dropped I took it to autozone they said the battery went bad. The car would crank but wouldnt start. And no sound from the fuel pump. I check the wires to the pump they was melted. I cut the ends off and redid the conector to the pump. Sometimes the car will start and drive fine, other times it will jerk and cant even do past 40mph. What are the chances that the wires from the fuel pump to the injectors, to the computer, to the fuse box got fried? Can this happen? And can this short out the fuel pump and the fuel injectors aswell?
Dreave33

Wow. You had a short somewhere, thats why the fuse was out.

You will have to uncover the entire harness to check fro melting to be sure.

Get a new connector at the pump, they are available

Should the car still be running with the fuse out that went to the fuel pump and the injectors?

Dreave33
There is a bypass from the oil pressure switch. It is a fail safe in case the relay fails

So that would make it still run? Even if the fuel pump/injector fuse is out of the fuse box.

Dreave33
If there were no other issues yes, but you have wire harness issues.

It is a protection for fuel pump relay failure