WHY IS MY CAR'S HEATER SCREAMING AT ME?

1990 Volvo 740 • 198,000 miles

The heater has been making irritating noises for the past year or so, at first intermittently, but now it's getting worse. I notice now when the heater screams, the heat fails to pour out as good as it should. At first I thought something had gotten caught in there, as it sounded like a piece of paper flapping rapidly, but now it is fairly screeching. Could it be the blower failing, or perhaps the intake air vent is clogged, as was suggested to me? If the latter, where is this located so I can unclog it?
Rosedale

This is typical of worn bearings in the fan motor. The proof would be found by the noise changing when you select different fan speeds. Also, the noise often diminishes a few minutes after the motor warms up. The only fix is a new fan motor which for a '90 model is going to be relatively inexpensive.

Could be the blower motor bearing or the fan is rubbing against the housing -out of alignment

Thanks for your advice! The noise really doesn't change much, if at all, when I switch fan speeds, but it sounds likely I need a new blower motor, since that seems to be the consensus. Thanks again!

Rosedale
Several inexpensive GM heat fans from mid-90s fit and are cheap and easily available. Try the Chevy Chevelle or Capri

Enginer
Several mid '90's GM heater motors are exact fits, try Chevy Chevelle or Capri. Much cheaper than Volvo sourcing

Enginer