HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT REPLACING A BROKEN HEATER CABLE IN MY VW VANAGON GL?

1990 Volkswagen Van • 135,000 miles

The top arm's cable has definitely broke, I can see it through the hole where the ashtray is. The third arm down (second from the bottom) has also lost it functioning, but I can't really see that arm to know what happened to it. What would I need to remove to repair it? And what's the difficulty of the repair?
Hippieman88

It has been a while since I had to replace one. Ideally, you would want to remove the dash do that the whole heater box assembly is visible and the added room would make things easier.

Working from the top with the instrument cluster removed and the lower center heater panel removed (as well as the glove box). Might give you enough room to view/manouver cables around.

Be careful, as the slightest kink to a cable/sleeve will cause binding issues.

Attach the mounting clips at the same point as the old cables were. To adjust flap opening amount, you remove the clip and slide the cable sleeve.

Thomas

Exovcds
Here's a supplier of parts. http://www.airheadparts.com/prods.asp

Fixitmr