VW SLIPPING

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet • Automatic • 150,000 miles

I just got my car out of the shop, I had a new starter put in my 1990 VW Cabrio, and now the tranny is slipping, slamming, and stalling. They just got done testing everything and said it was fine, now this? Do I just have bad luck, or is it likely something got ruined during this checkup? RPMs are reving terribly and I don't want to risk taking it an hour across town to the nearest mechanic. I was most alarmed when I noticed the car start to smoke. I lack any car knowledge other than how to check the oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm desperate.

Confusedvwgirl

ALSO>>>.I had taken it into the shop because it had a hot start problem, which I hear is inevitable for these cars. For about a week my tail lights were out, so in the RARE event that I saw a cop I put my brakes on while driving for no more than 5 seconds at a time, and maybe a total of 5 times overall. Did I screw up?

Confusedvwgirl