WOULD PUTTING IN A RELAY WHILE MY CAR( V6 DLX) IS RUNNING CAUSE THE RELAY TO BLOW OUT?

1990 Toyota Camry • 197,800 miles

Head relay blew, headlight not working
Eddyman30

That would depend on how you did it. If the wirings were done wrongly, it can short out anything in its circuit.

The auto shop put on a headlight switch for me, I though that was why my lights weren't working but they realized I needed a multi function switch and they said that's what burned out my headlight, so he hooked my switch up where when I needed headlight all I had to do was put the relay in and they would work until I could get the multi function switch, it worked when I initially did it, but yesterday I did it with the car running and the lights didn't come on

Eddyman30
Meant to say the multi function switch eventually burned out the headlight switch

Eddyman30
The headlights uses a rather high current draw and if the switch is not able to carry the capacity, it would burn out the switch instead of the lights.

So you think that that multi function switch might of already damaged the new headlight switch that got installed?

Eddyman30
No, the newly installed switch could be of poor quality or it could be other things that is faulty causing the lights not to work. Have you checked the fuses?

You need to perform tests to find out which part of the circuit has a fault.

The headlight switch still turns on the park and rear lights and I checked the fuses under the hood for The left and right headlights

Eddyman30
Ok thanks for the help

Eddyman30
Do you have a testlight or DVOM to perform tests?