FIXING THE COMPUTER

1990 Suzuki Sidekick • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual • 3,280,000 miles

Hi there I have a 1990 sidekick this is the second computer I have had to get for it. Someone told me they can be repaired. I know that it is the fule that is stopped and would like to fix the computer. Does anybody know what part I have to replace on the computer. And how it can be done as I am quite handy and want to learn. This is my hunting rig.
Rob Jansen
Jansam

It is impossible to know what to repair/replace without understanding the problem and testing/checking the ECM. It can be anything from a bad solder to a burnt out printed circuit board.

Without the echematic of the ECM, you would be guessing what could be wrong.

Thumb of rule for DIY on ECM is to look out for leaking capacitors and cold (cracked) solders. Other than that there is nothing much that you can do for repairs.

Early 1990s Fuel-injected Trackers & Sidekicks have Mitsubishi PCMs with defective capacitors, the same as a lot of 1990s PC motherboards from Taiwan. The capacitors have a "+" mark on the top and they overheat and burst at this "+" mark. Look for these defectives and replace them with newer capacitors. You might need to find an experienced electronics technician to do this, but it's not a complicated repair otherwise.

JJ Joseph