HOW TO SET THE TIMING ON A V6 3.1

1990 Pontiac Firebird • 186,000 miles

Ok so after replacing 2 fuel injectors today to get my car working again, I was finaly able to start it up and give it gas and everythings working great. I notice I was losing some water from a corroded bolt under my intake so I was going to fill up on water and goto autozone to get the part to replace where I was losing water.

As I pull the car over to the waterhose using its idle state and giving it very little gas, I throw it in park and leave it idleing as I fill up on water. I fully fill the radiator, then start on the reserve and as im filling the reserve the engine makes a loud CLANK noise and shuts off.

Now when I try to start it, it doesnt sound right At ALL so me and some buddys narrowed it down to my roter (roder?) Isnt spinning when I try to start the car. Which comes down to my timing chain broke which had to be what that clank noise was.

So now im going to be working on it with my friend (the mechanic) and put on a new timing chain, problem is I know he doesnt have any timing tools and I dont know where to even begin with it so now im here : )

So does anybody know what the timing is sapposed to be set at for my 90 pontiac firebird V6 3.1 L?
Jazzman170

Did you receive the post I sent?

What post?

Jazzman170
Drain and remove the radiator. Remove the accessory drive belts, accessories, and water pump. Remove the radiator and heater hoses. Remove the crankshaft damper and pulley (you'll need a tool for this). Remove the timing cover. Remove the bolt from the camshaft pulley and remove the 2 pulleys and chain. Installation is the reverse.

Rivermikerat
Installation of the new timing chain requires lining up certain marks on the 2 gears. The image I attached shows those marks.

Rivermikerat
Very much appreciated : ) now I will know exactly what going on : D

Jazzman170
My pleasure. Let us know how it went. This should take between 2 and 3 hours if you have everything you need when you start.

Rivermikerat
My only hope is nothing was damaged while the chain gave out. I read about interference and non-interference engines and I think mines interference. Luckily I wasnt driving with high RPM while chain gave way, but instead was in idle state. But if it bent a valve then im in trouble money wise haha

Jazzman170
From what I recall, I don't think it is.

Rivermikerat
Music to my ears : ) ill let you know exactly how it went tomorrow when the job is complete

Jazzman170
Ok. I look forward to hearing a 'vroom vroom' from here. : )

Rivermikerat