OLDSMOBILE 98 SENSOR PROBLEM

1990 Oldsmobile 98 • 100,000 miles

Car will not start. Turns over no start. Fuel pressure at rail is good. Spark on all cylinders.

New parts: Crank sensor, cam sensor, Ignition control module, Coil packs, Spark plugs.

What am I missing?

When I try to start the car it sometimes backfires and a white smoke that smells like fuel comes out from the air cleaner.

Please help!

Also. Before car wouldnt start at all it had idling issues, I had to hold gas pedal to keep it running.

Trevorizarockstar
CHeck to see if there is power to the injectors.

I do receive power to the injectors, it isnt exactly 12v something like 11.7 if memory serves me correctly. I have tried it with 2 different batteries and with a charger connected as well.

Trevorizarockstar
If you have spark and fuel, it should run unless there is low compression or timing is out. Are you getting a good hot blue snapping spark to the plugs?

I have tried using an in-line tester on the plugs and the spark looks a bit orange instead of blue. I have run compression test and it shows a good bit of compression.

I've even tried a spare ECM of the same model.

What has me stumped is the backfire with white smoke that smells like fuel.

Initially my friend put over 7 quarts of oil in the car when it broke down. Thinking it would help. I picked the car up and it started but had no power. When I realized how much oil was in it I promptly changed the oil. The car will no longer start.

I have also cleaned the MAF on the intake boot with proper cleaner.

When the car backfires a little puff of the smoke comes from a round thing (dont know exactly what) that sits on a pedestal looking thing on the back drivers side of the motor. I dont know if this helps much.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Trevorizarockstar
Also at one point after the oil change the car would start only with the throttle pressed all the way down. It would keep itself running but sounded very boggy and wouldnt rev up much.

Trevorizarockstar
If the spark is orange, it is most likely the problem. It won't burn the fuel. Check the coil and crank sensor

The coil and crank sensor have both been replaced. Is there anything else that could cause this? When replacing the crank sensor I took great care to ensure the teeth on the balancer did not hit the new sensor.

The old ICM that the coil pack sits on top of had green goop running out of it that felt like silly putty. Never seen that before.

I'm really at a loss with this car.

Trevorizarockstar