RUNS, BUT COULD NOT ENGAGE GEARS

1990 Mazda 929 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I replaced my battery yesterday at Reilly Auto parts. The guy installed a 26R72 on my 1990 Mazda 929 while my car was running. Sparks flew when he disconnected my old battery. I questioned him since I wasn't aware you could do that and not damage the electrical parts. It cranked fine, but hesitated like it wasn't getting enough juice. I went back to asked him to check if the proper battery was installed, since it was much smaller than my original battery. I asked him to let me try an upgrade thinking it had more power. This was a 35EXT, plus more money. I pulled out of their driveway with the car hesitating, barely making it to a place to park. The car would not engage in any of the gears, but the engine was running, I just couldn't get it in a gear to drive home, leaving the car in an empty parking lot. I'm picking the car up not knowing what to do. Did removing the battery cause a fuse or some other electrical part to short out?
My only problem with the car before I had the original battery replaced, it was four years old and not holding a charge. Can you please advise me on the information I gave you?
Sincerely,
Nishi
Tina Nishimoto

When disconnecting tha battery, the engine should not be running. The sparkings could have caused some fuses to blow and that is what you should be checking.

The battery not holding charge if left for extended periods could mean a failed battery or a parasitic drain. If it is due to insufficient charge, you would need to get the charging system checked.