HOW CAN I TELL IF THE DISTRIBUTOR IS BAD ON MY

1990 Honda CRX • 23,600 miles

My car starts but there's a noise coming from the distributor area
Margaret lane

You could remove and check play in shaft? Or possibly remove cap and watch it spin while cranking to see if anything seems loose? You didn't say what kind of noise? You could use an auto stethoscope $5 at harbor freight to listen to parts to determine source.

Fixitmr
Thanks for your response. What is harbor Freight? I took off the distributor cap and turned the engine over and nothing seemed loose. Hard to describe the noise? If the distributor was totally bad, wouldnt the engine not be able to start?

Margaret lane
Harbor freight is a 'chain' tool store. And sound may not be from distributor? You can try a tube to your ear to locate sound better. Or maybe 'feel' it using hand or added extension implement?

Fixitmr
Would other auto parts stores have that tool? Pretty sure the sound is coming from the distributor. And I felt it and it vibrates.

Margaret lane
They might. Probably cost more. When did you notice noise? And what kind of noise is it?

Fixitmr