CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON TACHOMETER DEAD.

1990 Ford Ranger

1990 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

To make a long story short my Ford ranger started to miss or stall just once in a while acting like a fuel problem or ignition problem.
I'v had two independant shops look at it with test equipment and both said that so many problem codes come up they don't know where to start.

When this first started I would see the Check Engine Light come on momentarily out of the corner of my eye and the engine would stumble slightly by the time I looked the light was out and everything would be fine for a few days or even a few weeks before it would happen again.

Then the light would come on more often once the engine got up to operating temperature accompanied by the Tach going crazy as the light was on and the engine stumbling, by that I mean I would loose power and the engine would act like it was running out of gas or I had an ignition problem.

This went on for several weeks and more often then I took it to a local Ford Dealer who changed both coils, the spark-plug wires, ECM or Engine Control Module, and the DIS Modual. Still the problem persist and now the light stays on all the time, runs very rough at idle, bearly goes down the road over 40mph. And the Tachometer is dead, as in will not register at all. During this process I noticed the Tach reading much lower than the engine actual RPM and as time went on it would respond less and less until now where it does not move at any RPM! The dealer had this truck for 29 days, and eventually gave it back and told me and said it was unrepairable, by that I can only assume they don't know what else to do either. I'm stumped.
Richard Anderson

I have the same issue with my ranger its a 94 v6 4.0. The spark plgs were white when I changed them telling me it is running lean. Ive replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, ignition coil pack at 1 friends suggestion, crank sensor at anothers suggestion which ended up being rotted anyway. Problem still exists. Im now being told to swap out the 02 sensors and if that doesnt work try the fuel pump, not sure what the heck the fuel pump has to do with the tach though. Also if you cycle the ignition switch once it happens everything goes back to normal for a while. Could be fine for a minute or a week but it always acts up again. I also read something about the intake manifold needing to be retorqued due to loosening bolts and the ground strap needing to be relocated from the firewall to the block? Anyone with ideas or actual usable knowledge would instantly become my favorite person in the world!

Tom desantis
What trouble code are you getting from the computer?