CHRYSLER IMPERIAL BRAKES PROBLEM

1990 Chrysler Imperial • 85,000 miles

I did a swap out of the brakes (ABS to Non-ABS). The replacement parts came from a 1990 Dodge Dynasty that had rear drum and front disc brakes. The Imperial that I installed them in has disc both front and rear. After bleeding the brake system I have what seems to be a good brakes. After a short, I have none. I bleed them again and find no air in the system. I then have good brakes, then after a short time I have none. Is there something I'm missing? Please help.
Martinhughes

What parts did you change?

The master cylinder will not work from the donor as it needs to be one with 4 wheel disc. Same with proportioning valve.

So there is my problem. I really don't feel like re-doing all that again. So I'll install the rear drums on the Imperial. That should do the trick. I hope. Thanks for the fast response.

Martinhughes
I doubt it. The donor was a smaller car and the imperial requires much bigger brakes.

What I've done is: I've retreved the rear axle, brake backing plates and drums from the donnor car and will install them later today. I hope this will do the trick. I'll let you know how it turns out. As to the size of both cars, there the same size. Both cars are a Chrysler "K platform"

Martinhughes
The imperial used 11 inch brakes. Is that what you have?

I know I said Dynasty. Sorry about that. It was a 5th Avenue that the parts came off of. I went and checked the drums and they are 11inch. However I ended up doing a timeing chain on a Dakota and trouble shooting a focus. I'll most likely start on the Imperial this week-end. I will let you know how it turns out.

On another note: I just asked a question regarding a "runner Control Valve" and wanted to donate another $5.00. However, it (the web page) didn't ask for my card number. Will you system know who I am a deduct it from the VISA card I used before? Hope so. Because I plan on picking your brains alot in the future. I finaly found a web site that cuts thru all the B.S. And gets to the issue at hand. Thank you Roy.

Martinhughes
I've installed the rear brakes, bleed the system and the same thing happens. I have good brakes after bleeding, then a short time later I have none. However, I'll install the proportioning valve (the 2nd one) that came off the same kind of car (5th Ave) and try it again.

Martinhughes