CHEVROLET SILVERADO SMOKE PROBLEM

1990 Chevrolet Silverado • 200,000 miles

So I've noticed that I have an oil leak and I got under my truck, clean some of the oil off but I can't tell where the oil is comming from. I get a bout a good drop every three minutes. I don't no what to do to detect where this leak is comming from and I need to drive the truck to work which is 100 miles round trip. Please help

You'll make it that far but keep an eye on the level. If it's only leaking from someplace where it's under pressure, it won't leak much faster if you drive faster. It may leak faster if it's leaking from a non-pressurized point such as a valve cover gasket. I'd start by checking the oil pressure sending unit. See if there's oil on the electrical connector when you remove it.

If you still can't find it, you can add a small bottle of dark purple dye, then check with a black light after running the engine a few minutes. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow back to the source. I've also had good luck with a smoke machine to inject smoke into the oil dipstick tube. That may not work with all leaks in pressurized passages but it will work with valve covers and rusty oil pans.