CHEVROLET S-10 FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1990 Chevrolet S-10 • 270,000 miles

Fuel pump works when I put in tank, drive for 5 minutes and truck dies and the fuel pump makes a ch sound instead of a hum
Bradtiny531

Was this a new fuel pump? I'm not much good with sounds.

Yes, I put in a few new ones, keep burning out within 10 minutes of driving

Bradtiny531
What is the fuel pressure? Did you use a new fuel filter? Check voltage and ground. Did you check the amp draw?

Yes, proper fuel pressure, fuel filter is newer, It works for a couple mintues, go to drive around the block and it makes a chh sound doesn't want to kick on. Is it the pump I'm buying? Preision fuel pump.

Bradtiny531
Did you check voltage and ground for the pump motor when problem is ongoing? Can you blow air through the fuel lines? Is the fuel tank clean? If voltage and ground are good and no pump action, the pump is faulty. Try different brand of fuel pump. I don't know what else to tell you?

Voltage seems correct, ground was clean, I put 3 fuel pumps in all the same brand, oreillys selling default parts?

Bradtiny531
I have no idea? Faulty voltage or ground can damage the fuel pump.

How so I check the volatage the right way?

Bradtiny531
Your fuel lines aren't trying to clog? Check the return line, make sure you can blow air through it.

There is a fuel pump test connector close to the fuel pump relay. You can use jumper wire from battery + to test connector and the pump will run. Don't need the key. Most digital multimeters have an amp setting, hook the meter in series with jumper, to check amp draw.