CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IS LOCATED ON MY 3.1 V6 VIN TYPE T

1990 Chevrolet Lumina • 68,000 miles

I have tried locating it with different repair manuals and databases and nothing tells me where the sensor is located. Please help!
Tinkergirl

It's on the lower rear right of engine by the oil pan. Ifi you look from above the transmission and shine a light down there you'll see the wires going to it. Not very easy to get to

Under hood, center, rear engine area, passenger side of exhaust pipe, above oil pan, mounted in engine block

I agree, not very easy. Safely raise and support the vehicle, so you can get at it. Even after you remove the hold-down bolt, may be very stubborn. If that is the original sensor, that flange is very thin and very brittle. Use a long shank screwdriver, after you remove hold down bolt and electrical connector. Place the tip of screwdriver in sensor electrical socket, push up, as hard as you can. If the sensor pops up a little, you can probably remove the rest of way with your hand. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be easy to remove. I usually don't get that lucky.

My mother 1990 Lumina Sedan suddenly refused to start the after she had ridden it the day before without any issues for years. Last time it had a problem was when it suddenly died about 12 years ago and I believe the mechanic said it was the CPS (Crankshaft Pos Sensor). If I remember right he said he bypassed it so that it would never cause any future issues. And whatever he did worked well for years, I have a few questions, is bypassing the CPS possible? After trouble shooting this car now for the last 10 days, we eliminated fuses and such and to me it looked like it could be possibly the Ignition Control Module (ICM) or the Electronic Control Module (ECM/PCM). Took it in to a garage and after their analysis they said it was probably all 3. I said that's impossible for all 3 to die at the same time. So they convince me to replace the least expensive part, the CPS. If fact they said there are 2 CPS's in the Lumina one in the Oil Pan and one outside (I don't believe there is 2). Anyway silly me agreed to let them change the outside one which is the only one I am aware of. Needless to say once replaced the car still didnot start (still has no Spark at the coming of the Spark plugs). So now they thinking to replace the IGM, then next possibly the ECM. I am reluctant to give them the ok to replaced these in fear that the bill mounting up and there's no guarantee that after all 3 parts are replaced that the car will start. My initial thoughts was that the ICM had gone, only wished that they had started there first. Any opinions?

Dag2012
If there is no spark it is either your Brain(ECM) or the Ignitor (ICM). This is just from what I've learned. I'm no expert. All my Problems after replacing the ECM had to do with the fuel system. I replaced all the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator. I hope that this helps. However your best bet is to post the free question to the mechanic's forum yourself and they will assist you more. Good Luck!

Tinkergirl
Dag, I don't know how the mechanic would bypass the crank sensor?

How do poeple throw these off the wall questions and people that answer them don't know wha tthey are talking about? Yet people will beleive them lol. Scan for codes an dcheck fuel pressure first dag and the cps can't be bypassed. Lol. Do the basics first.