HOW DO I INSTALL A MORE "MODERN" COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR?

1990 Chevrolet Corvette • 172,889 miles

My old CTS had a single wire connection, I bought a new on either a better plug on it and it has 2 wires. I can with pigtails to install as needed and the instructions told me to ground 1 wire and connect the other like normal. I didn't want to do this until I hear it's what is right instead of shorting something out.
Danieljordan

The single wire is grounded by the body. For the two wire, one is for the existing and the other is for grounding to any part of the engine that has a good ground.

This is a thermister which would not short out.

However you must remember that a different version of the original would not work if the ratings are different.

It's made for my model vehicle, it's just got two wires instead of 1. So I just need to ground it to the engine block?

Danieljordan
You really need the single wire connector but if it's unavailable actually a connector should have come with it because you won't have the right connector. If you don't have that you'll have to try to get one or the right switch. If you get the connector with a harness all you will need to do is put eh computer wire to the yellow wire and ground the black wire.

They are both black on the new sensor. The original single wire is black also.

Danieljordan
Then just wire it up it should work. Gm changed to this type many years ago

So the extra wire goes to the engine block?

Danieljordan
One wire to computer and one to wherever you wan tto ground it. Engine block is fine

I don't think you understand. The old wire is still there. I cut the old connector off of that wire and spliced in 1 of the new wires. I now have an extra wire.

Danieljordan
You don'tunderstand, put the remaining wire to ground. Engine block is fine to use as a ground

Lol, as I explained earlier, the original sensor uses the body as ground spo when the sensor is installed, it is automatically grounded.

For the two wire sensor, the wires are not in any way connected to the unit body. When it is installed, it is not grounded. The extra wire is the ground which you need to find a location for it.