HESITATES, BAD SMELLING FUMES FROM EXHAUST

1990 Cadillac Deville • 214,000 miles

If fed slowly will get up to about 44 mph and then stall and die. Car will now run good till it hits 40 mph if you give it a slow steady grandpa feed, and then it starts to die and finally does while cruising down the road. Cant restart till you have it in park and turn off the whole key ign. Then back to start and it fires right up. Has a strong exhaust smell like its to lean or rich. Codes e 38 and 41 are the newest codes and e 48 and 49 are the old ones. I still have not replaced egr valve. Could this be a combo of egr and oxy sensor. Or is it a bad cam sensor or bad cam?
Bruce46

Could be caused by one of the following below

Oxygen sensor.
Catalytic converter.
Fuel injectors dirty/sticking.
Mass airflow sensor/Airflow meter.
Throttle position sensor.
Crankshaft position sensor
Knock sensor
Manifold absolute pressure sensor.
EGR Valve
Fuel pressure regulator leaking or defective fuel pump.
Fuel contamination.
Foul/defective spark plugs.
Open spark plug wires.
Ignition coil/Coil packs defective.
Incorrect ignition timing.
Cap and rotor.

Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing.

Ok, so my mechanic tells me today it is definatly the cmp sensor for the cam. Wants 240 bucks to change out with new one.
What causes a cmp sensor to fail? And is there an underlying existing problem I need to have checked

Bruce46