CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH SOME INFORMATION ON THE CRANK SENSOR IN MY CAR? I BELIEVE MY CRANK SENSOR IS GOING BAD ON ME.

1990 Buick Century • 118,000 miles

I have been having a problem with what I believe to be the crank sensor on my car. For going on over a year now I have been having issues with my car misfiring, rough idling, poor fuel economy and the worse thing it does is when the engine seems to get to hot it will cut out on me and will not start until it cools off. I had it towed the other night and the man suggested to look into my crank sensor or coil packs on my car. I believe its my crank sensor though because I also keep getting the check engine light on and off. Someone told me to call Auto Zone and ask them if they could scan the codes on it and see if it is the crank sensor. Unfortunately they said my car is too old and they cant scan it. He said something about taking 2 paperclips though and hooking them up to something under the hood to check the codes myself. Does anyone know what I can do? I don't have my cars repair manual also.
Mattd88

Yah you can read codes with key on CEL flashing using paper clip in connector.

Fixitmr
The connector I'd under the drivers side dash. Jump a and b together turn ign to on not run and the engine light will flash 2 digit codes one flash and then 2 is code 12

Djcl
OK thanks guys I'm going to try and get the code to make sure it is in fact the crank sensor.

Mattd88
Ok so I think I found the connector but I'm not if its it or not, what color is it? What do you mean by jump A and B together? I see a lot of wires under the dash on the drivers side and there all connected to something.

Mattd88
I will attach a pic of the connecter let me know how it works out

Djcl
OK so I was looking for the data connector under the drivers side dash under the steering wheel and I can't seem to locate it. I keep looking for a 16 hole connector but the image you uploaded looks like it has only 12 slots? If so then I should have an easier time finding it.

Mattd88
Is that the connector in the pictures I uploaded?

Mattd88
That's it

Djcl
Alright so I now have succeeded in locating the data connector and I used a paperclip to insert into the connector. I got the check engine light flashing in a sequence, the only thing is I have no idea how to interpret the code. I took a video clip of the sequence but I don't understand it. I know something about the 12 initiation but then it blinks like 6 or 9 times in a row and repeats, can someone please shed some light on this?

Mattd88
After the 12 count the first set of blinks if its 3 blinks then its a 3. The next set of blinks is the second number

Djcl
Page 1 of 2