MY OUTLET IN MY STOPPED WORKING AND A MECHANIC SAID ITS NOT THE FUSE, ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT CAN BE?

1990 Buick Century • 118,000 miles

I checked the fuse and it's fine and all my other electrical controls in my car work except that.
Mattd88

The outtlet itself or the wires. See if you have a power and ground feed to the outtlet if you do bad outtlet. If you dont see which you are missing power ir ground.

Thank you for your reply, I was wondering what I should use to check the power and ground feed to the outlet? I'm not real good with electrical on cars. Would I have to check that somehow under my hood?

Mattd88
Did you make sure the fuse had power to both sides of it?You would use a multimeter thats the easiest way to check power and ground. You can use a test light but that would be more difficult to do it that way. Unless you got one that plugs in another good working cig socket. You check for power and ground at the back of the socket.

Also if the test light has two aligator clips to hook to the battery and the leads are long enough you could use that.

Two screws and the ash tray assembly comes off toward you. Behind it is a plug for the outlet and the little light. Make sure it is fully connected. Check your power there.

Shab522
Thanks a lot guys, I'm gonna look at it tomorrow and see if I can fix with the information you provided me.

Mattd88
Your welcome please keep us posted.

I recently asked a question about my electrical outlet in my car not working. The other day I went out and removed the 2 screws that holds the assembly in place. I checked the power cord in the back to make sure it was plugged in and it was. I looked over the wiring and cant see any problems, also the little light bulb works too. Any one know what else I can check?

Mattd88
See if your missing the power or ground to the outlet?Let me know which one your missing?