SHIFTS FROM 1ST TO 2ND FINE... WON'T GO OVER 40-50 NOR 3RD/4TH GEAR UNTIL WARM (DRIVEN FOR 10 MIN.)

1990 Acura Integra • 130,000 miles

Hi,

I don't know what could be causing this problem but it works fine after it has warmed up/been driven.

It will shift from 1st to 2nd fine. But won't go over 40-50 nor engage 3rd(/4th) gear until warm (driven for 10 min.)

Someone has told me to change the fluid/filter. Someone else said shift solenoid screens needs to be cleaned (but I have not found the shift solenoid and was told it's not a common part/tranny because Lordco could not find the part in their computer. HHMM.

What's your take on this. All input appreciated. Thanks.
HondasRule

Not shifting could be valve body, internal seals or shift solenoid.

Instead of guessing, it is best to have a trans shop just check it for you to verify the failed parts instead of throwing stuff at it that does not wokr.
My gut says it is an internal hyraulic issue and it will have to come out.

How is the fluid condition and level?
Did you check for trouble codes?

Actually that is my next step: Check trouble codes.

I will look into that now. Thanks.

HondasRule
I have not checked the fluid yet.

HondasRule
"internal hyraulic issue?" Possibly being what?

"it will have to come out" meaning the tranny - and inspected?

HondasRule
Internal hydraulic issues can mean a fault with the valve body and for this vehicle any internal fault with the trans means stripping it down for inspections or repairs.