THE BLOWER SPEED SWITCH 5-POSTION IS BUSTED.

1989 Toyota Pickup • 100 miles

I have a 1989 Toyota 5-speed Pickup. The Blower Speed Switch 5-postion is busted. The fan never comes on at any speed setting. The separate A/C button DOES come on in the low-speed setting but none of the other speeds, I got a 3-speed aftermarket switch from Advance Auto but I couldn't figure out where to splice it into the wiring so the fan and the A/C button would both work. Any ideas?
Jack Davidson

Check and test the blower motor resistor

I can do that. But I know the switch is busted, There is a definite "click: from "Off" to "Low" and the A/C Switch indicator lights up. It goies off when I move the Blower Speed switch higher and the movement just kinda slides. Anyway. I'll get the test procedures from my alldata. Diy account and check it out. Thnx.

Jack Davidson
Outside under the hood. Look at the a/c case. Youll find a resister plate it screws into the top of the case with 2 screws and has a wire connecter. Just remove the screws pull it out. You will see a bunch of different size coiled wires these are the resistors. If u look close at the small coils 1 will be burnt. Just google a/c fan speed resistor plate. Then youll no what it looks like.

Cadieman
DAAAANG!
There's a reason I wear my 2CarPros t-shirt and send $ when I can. Which I will be doing as soon as I get pd!

Thnx.

Jack Davidson
No problem let me know how it goes

Cadieman
Couldn't find the blower motor resistor under the hood. Alldata. Diy says it's next to the blower motor under the dash. Confused.

Jack Davidson
I also have a new set of Bosch +4 plugs (Model 4428) and wondered if I could put them in this truck.

Jack Davidson
Go to the parts store and ask for a blower speed resistor. Then youll know what it looks like.I dont think its that costly.

Cadieman
I think our discussion got crossed up so I'm asking this again?

I have a new set of Bosch +4 plugs (Model 4428) and wondered if I could put them in this truck. Alldata. Diy says operating temp is 392 @ 10 mph to 1479 @ 80 (I think.) I actually drive around 63 consistently but I'm noticing skipping under load (accelerating). I should buy #4478, but I have these 4428(s) already.

Jack Davidson
The Blower Motor resistor is next to the motor under the dash. I put a new one in and but still doesn't work. Also noted the switch actually DOESN'T work anymore. It moves between "Off" "1st" & "2nd" fan speeds, but no further. The "A/C" button light comes on in "1st" and I get A/C if I'm going fast, but the fan never blows air.

Jack Davidson