22RE SPARK PRESET FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR TO THE PLUG WIRE WHEN THE DISTRIBUTOR IS OUT OF THE TRUCK AND TURNED BY HAND, IGNITION ON. PUT THE DISTRIBUTOR IN THE TRUCK AND LOOSE AL SPARK.

1989 Toyota Pickup • 175,000 miles

The initial repair was headgasket and timing chain replacement. When I reassembled the vehicle it ran great. Two days after the repair the truck just quit and would not restart. We tried to jump start and nothing. Trouble shot spark issues and found that when I removed the distributor from the truck, left the electrical connected, shorted #1 sparkplug to ground and rotated the distributor by hand there was good spark. Re-installed the distributor and no spark at all. Have replaced the coil, ignitor, and distributor with cap. Same results. Checked all fuses and relays all ok. Why no spark when the dist is installed. It did run fine for a couple of days but then just quit.
Dbenson485

With the distributor installed, remove the cap and crank the engine to see if the distributor is turning.