89 SPUTTERING ON ACCELERATION

1989 Nissan 240SX

I have an 89 240sx and about a year ago my car developed a sputter. After inspection we came to the conclusion it was one of the connectors going from the engine wiring harness to one of the injectors. After replacing the connector my car was running fine. Then a month ago my ECU went out. After replacing the ECU my car began sputtering again only this time worse. When the sputter began a year ago I found that I could roll from a stop and gently touch the gas and there would be no sputter. Now it seems as if even rolling doesn't stop it. Should I replace all the connectors or is there something else I should try and see if it helps?
Ashley787

Hi well since you had to replace one connector then possibly the others have the same problem it is certainly worth a try and it will eliminate one possibility.

Billymac
Thank you I had a feeling that was what we were going to end up doing.

Ashley787
Anytime we are glad to help

Billymac
Alright so we went out and checked the other connectors. The one that we had replaced the wire was turned all funny. So my boyfriend turned it back and we started my car and she was running perfect. No sputter when quickly accelerated, no high RPMs, the car was running perfect. So we went for a test drive and after a couple speed bumps a slight sputter started. When we parked the RPMs started going higher and I hit the gas and the car sputter. So my boyfriend checked the wires and the car died down like it was going to stall. So he had me turn the car off and try to turn it back on and now it won't start again. The same symptoms that happened when my old ECU burned out. So now we're wondering what would cause my new ECU to burn out after only being driven a few times after it was put in. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Ashley787
Hi if the connectors are bad on the injectors this can short the ecu andcause it to fail again. I would try and get it warrantied since it could be just a flawed unit.

Billymac
Hi, its starting to look like the connectors are a wild goose chase. The car will start and run perfectly fine for a little bit. Then if I turn it off while it's warm it won't start back up. Once the car is cold again it will start again. So now we're trying to figure out where in the fuel system we are having an issue. To top it off a few weeks back before all these problems started I hit a piece of debris in the road and it hit where my catalytic converter is located on my car so now we have that fun task since I can smell rotten eggs when I get my car to go farther then just around the parking lot of my apartments. Thank you for all your help.

Ashley787
When your will not start we have to know if we are loseing fuel or spark. If you are sure it is fuel then we need to know the fuel pressure at the time it won't start. This could be a fuel pump issue or even a ignition module or crank sensor. Fuel pressure spark codes from computer if we can get these we can help you. Thanks billymac

Billymac
My car is doing the same thing I have a 1990 240sx I repleaced the coolent temp sensor and it started fine but it still has the sputter and some times it dies on me it wont go over 4500 rpm's im not getting fuel pressure I repleaced the fuel pump and im getting spark I repleaced all of that

When it dies and won't start you say you have no fuel pressure and a new pump. You have a fuel pressure relay possible sometimes this relay is not working, however this will have nothing to do with the sputter and no rpm's. Please repost and at heading write I need nissann mech one of the import techs will help you. Thanks

Billymac
Hi there here's an update as to what's going on with my car. My boyfriend went out and ran my car for 30 minutes just letting it idle. This helped the RPMs to calm down and normal out so he went for a test drive around our complex and had no issues. He even parked and revved the engine and no sputter or dying at all. A couple days later we took my car for a longer drive on the freeway to my moms house. On the way there we stopped and put in more gas because I hadn't needed to fill up in so long the gas was old. That's when he noticed that my fuel reading was staying way high despite opening the cap and driving. On the way home later he noticed a small sputter but after being driven for a few minutes it went away. He unplugged the charcoal canister and the sputter disappeared and the fuel readout stayed normal. All that was left was the random misfire that he has linked to my egr needing to be replaced.

Ashley787
Page 1 of 2