I HAVE THIS IMA BUY. ITS A AND WHILE DRIVING IF FEELS AND I CAN HERE NOT SHIFTING RIGHT AWAY,IT STALLS INTO GEARS .

1989 Land Rover Discovery • 29,855 miles

When I start the Rover and put into reverse it just glides back then catches gear. Then when I put into drive the car will just stay put glide a little back then catch it gear (sometimes) making a loud noise. I"VE took it to 2 shops already. Both shops have rebuild everything thing inside( what I was told) and found nothing wrong.I put a scanner onto it(OB1) to no code. Now either im imagining these shifts between gears or no one knows how to fix this issue. Could nit be the shift solenoid which is below the steering coll om? Or bad sensor that not picking up on a OB1? HELP!
Freshathanlysol

Information for this vehicle is lacking in our database and based on what I have, I culd not locate anything about electrical controls for the transmission.

Symptoms described indicates the trans has a delay in engaging and this could be due to low pressure, excessive clearance of clutch plates/discs, leaking clutch pressure or a fault with the valve body.

You would need to perform pressure testings to find out possible causes.

What kind of pressure test do I do? Leaking clutch pressure? Also about the Valve body is that regarding the heads by any chance? I was told that the transmission has been rebuilt ( Ive seen the copy? Would the shift solenoid which sits right under the steering collom be the problem?Whats strange is that I seen many cars have this problem and its never found whats the answer. Help!

Freshathanlysol
Pressure test for the lines in transmission. There are various points on transmission that allows pressure gauges to be installed for this test.

The solenoid under the steering should be interlock solenoids which does not have any bearings on gear shiftings.

Valve body is the control for the changing of fluid flow for gear changes and is located inside the transmission.

OK. So u think I should should just pressure check the solenoid in the transmission? That would stop the shifting?

Freshathanlysol
For pressure testing, after equipment is hooked up and transmission is shifted through the various gears and pressure readings recorded/monitored to see if any is out of specs.