CRANKS BUT WON'T STAY RUNNING

1989 Jeep Comanche • 6 cylinder 4WD Manual •

We have a 1989 Jeep Comanche truck w/ 6 cylinder, stick shift. When you turn the key, the engine cranks. It shuts right back off. If you hold the key forward, it keeps running and you can rev it up and everything. It runs just like its supposed to. As soon as you let the key go, it cuts off.

Gaj265123

I haven't looked at your wiring system, yet. Maybe you have a problem with ballast resister?

THE CJs HAD A RESISTANCE WIRE, INSTEAD OF A BALLAST RESISTOR. MAYBE THE SAME WITH THIS ONE.

ANYBODY MONKEYED WITH THE WIRING?

WITH A VOLTMETER, TELL US WHAT THE VOLTAGE IS AT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL. KEY ON, ENGINE OFF

THE "I" TERMINAL ON YOUR SOLENOID, IS WHAT IS KEEPING IT RUNNING WITH THE KEY IN THE "START POSITION" (AS IT SHOULD) WHEN YOU RELEASE THE KEY, "I" DIES, AND THE RESISTANCE WIRE SHOULD TAKE OVER WITH REDUCED VOLTAGE

I'D PROBABLY START WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH ITSELF OR THE CONNECTOR.

IF IT'S A MUST AND YOU MUST MOVE IT

YOU CAN TRY, "GRAND THEFT AUTO 1963"!

BEFORE LOCKABLE COLUMNS, ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS JUMP POSITIVE BATTERY TO POSITIVE COIL. THEN CRANK IT WITH SCREWDRIVER ON THE SOLENOID (YOURS WILL CRANK WITH THE KEY, NO NEED FOR THE SCREWDRIVER!) HERE'S A PIC.. TO KILL THE ENGINE, REMOVE THE WIRE

THIS JUST BYPASSES THE KEY. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE FUSE, AS IN MY PIC.I'M JUST REALLY CAUTIOUS!

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU NEED, PICS, INSTRUCTIONS, ETC. WE'LL HELP AS FAR AS WE CAN!